Search my Blog

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Antennas' Performance

My most recent antenna installation upgrade was a new MAAS X-300N V/U vertical. With an overall length of 3,30m, this vertical is working very nicely, paired to my Yaesu FT-8800R and I am currently using it for my APRS Server (see http://www.sv5dkl.eu:7781).

Special care was taken for the insulation of all joints and bare parts of the antenna to protect from humidity, sea salts and salty air. A layer of hydrophobic adhesive tape was applied on all those parts, then a double layer of 3M rubber self-amalgamating tape, then a single layer of good quality PVC electrical tape and on top of those, I installed a thick heat-shrinking tube.

Coaxial cable used was Belden H100 terminated with Ultimax N-Type connectors at both ends.

Here is how the antenna's SWR measures across 2m & 70cm amateur bands:
 

My older Diamond X-300N in its new higher position and after maintenance, measures the following SWR across 2m & 70cm amateur bands:



And, finally, my trustworthy Cushcraft A3S still performs as per manufacturer's specifications and exhibits the following SWR across 20m/15m/10m amateur bands:

No comments: